We are often asked about the advantages of design-build over the conventional system consisting of first using an architect and then a general contractor. It’s a valid question and because Faber Construction has been doing design-build work for over a decade now, we have a good idea of why it is the direction that many clients choose to go.
Here is a list of some of the reasons why design-build is the right step:
- Clients are involved from the very beginning. When clients want to give input into the design they are able to with relative ease. There is no wall between the designer and the client. Communication of one’s needs in a building is of utmost importance because it reduces the risk of lost information.
- Design-build firms are there to take the guesswork out of the construction process. We are a group of professionals that will guide you through the whole process start to finish; providing the best possible outcome.
- There is accountability throughout the whole process. Since everyone is working on the same team, there is no excuse for the challenges encountered on a project. Everyone has to work together on cost-effective solutions. The continuity from the design process to the construction process in seamless, being experts in both fields and under the same roof greatly reduces the chances of things to go wrong.
- Time is money; extra time spent in design or in construction can cause the client to carry a lot of unnecessary cost. Since both steps are streamlined under one team, projects are completed under faster timelines with a smaller budget.
- When you take into account all of the above advantages it all comes down to cost savings. Design fees, construction mark-ups, and general condition fees, are all less than a typical architect and general contractor setup. In this industry it’s all about money, and with design-build you definitely get the best bang for your buck.
While these few points summarize several of the key elements of design-build, there are many more and Faber Construction would be happy to answer any questions you have. Our designers have been working with our clients for many years and have established trusting relationships, this is why our clients keep coming back. The building experience does not need to be secretive; Faber Construction can walk you through step by step to completion.